Sunday, April 12, 2009

a drawing room....

So….i haven’t posted in sort of awhile, which I keep meaning too, but I have been so busy, enjoying italy, but mostly just drawing until I am covered head to toe in charcoal.

But it is easter Sunday today, and I am feeling lazy, so no work for now, just writing, and trying to finish up the book I am reading, which is, Crow Lake by mary lawson, which is really good. i have about fifty pages left…

On another random note, dried figs are amazing! I have become rather addicted…and in this last week, we have been working on two drawings, both dealing with intense light and shadow, and one of which is to be done at night, with an extreme light source and then we had to put ourself in it somehow…I did mine in our courtyard…every night this week, I bundled up, brought a cup of tea and drew for 2-3 hours…it was lovely! But afterwards whether is was midnight, or 2 am I had a little night cap…that is a bowl of cereal and dried fruit…

Anywho…not that the above is in anyway vital information…

Oh and Bible verse of this last month:
Ps. 112:4
“even in darkness light dawns for the upright…”

I realized I haved posted since I started drawing, which is really sad because this class has been amazing! I am learning so much about letting go in both my work and in life, it is funny, but my struggles at the easal tend to correlate with my life…

Matt (or professor and director) has been great and really helped me start to break through in my work. Learning to let go…
he has inspired me in many ways, the way he and his family live…we have got to know him and his family pretty well and I love them!

one of my favorite quotes he gave us came from:
“Night Studio: A memoir of Philip Guston” by Musa Mayer (his daughter)
“When you start working, everybody is in your studio—the past, your friends, enemies, the art world, and above all, your own ideas all are there. But as you continue painting, they start to leaving, one by one, and you are left completely alone. Then if you are lucky, even you leave.”

There is so much more to write about this class, I will do it more just later, I want to photography my work, so I will try and talk a little more about the journey then, but for now….

No comments: